Edward Nygma aka the Riddler/Hush was a supervillain and a major enemy of Batman.
Some time before the events of Batman: Hush, Edward Nygma had received a terminal diagnoses due to a brain tumor. His doctor, Thomas Elliot, attempted a surgery to remove the tumor, but failed. Undeterred, Nygma secretly used a Lazarus Pit to restore his health, as well as granting him enhanced abilities.
During the events of the Hush saga, the Riddler was first seen robbing a bank, supposedly set up by Hush to be caught by Batman.
However, it was revealed that the Riddler Batman caught was a decoy, with Clayface posing as Nygma while the real Riddler remained at large, and had adopted a new persona, Hush.
Nygma apparently perished during a fight with Batman and Catwoman, due to multiple explosions inside a chemical facility.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Condition: As a side effect of bathing in the Lazarus Pits, the Riddler's physical constitution was enhanced, giving him enhanced durability; speed and strength. He was able to go toe-to-toe with Batman and even severely injure Batman. Batman had to work in tandem with Catwoman to defeat the Riddler in hand-to-hand combat.
- Genius-Level intellect: The Riddler is an expert logician and a master of manipulation. He is able to deduce Batman's identity, orchestrate the events of Batman: Hush and even deduce Batman's deductive methodology.
- Hand-to-hand Combat: The Riddler is able to combat Batman and even use his newfound strength and scythe shaped staff in tandem against Batman.
- In this version, Riddler himself is Hush. The Lazarus Pit discolored his eyes and gave him limited superhuman physical abilities.
- Riddler in this universe is described as a "C-list villain".
- This is a stark contrast to most other media where the Riddler shows himself to be a very competent villain capable of outwitting everyone on a regular basis (except Batman obviously). This is further reinforced by the fact Batman in the film states that once the enhanced intelligence the Lazarus Pit gave Riddler wears off, he won't be able to outsmart the villains he manipulated as part of his plan when the seek him out for revenge.