Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is the sixteenth animated film and final installment in the DC Animated Movie Universe and an indirect sequel to Justice League: War released in 2014. The film was announced at San Diego Comic-Con in 2019. Justice League Dark: Apokolips War was released on May 5th 2020.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Culminating a six-year journey that began with Justice League:War in 2014, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War finds Earth decimated after intergalactic tyrant Darkseid has devastated the DC Super Heroes. Now the remaining bastions of good – the Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad and assorted others – must regroup, strategize and take the war to Darkseid to save the planet and its surviving inhabitants in this epic finale that will forever end the DC Animated Movie Universe
Plot[edit | edit source]
"Accept the things you cannot change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference"
—Nora Allen, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
The New God Darkseid has been on the warpath, destroying worlds throughout the universe and making his way towards Earth, building a tyrannical empire from his fiery home of Apokolips. Following his two failed invasions of Earth during Justice League: War and Reign of the Supermen, the Justice League prepare to launch a counter-attack on Apokolips, while Teen Titans remain on Earth to defend it. Unbeknownst to the heroes, Darkseid is spying on them through Cyborg's Apokolyptian technology and is aware of their plan. Upon their arrival at Apokolips, the League is decimated by Darkseid's Paradooms: genetic hybrids of Parademons and Doomsday. John Constantine flees from the battle, leaving his lover, Zatanna, to die.
Two years later, Darkseid's forces have taken over Earth. The world's population is considerably diminished and much of the Earth is a wasteland. In a London pub, Constantine and the demon Etrigan are attempting to drown their sorrows when they are approached by Raven and a depowered Superman. Clark reveals that some of the heroes were spared and used for other purposes: Batman was brainwashed and made to serve as Darkseid's right-hand man, Lex Luthor became the New God's representative on Earth, Wonder Woman, Mera, Starfire, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkman were fused with Apokolips technology and became Darkseid's enforcers, called the Furies. Finally, Superman was infused with liquid Kryptonite to deprive him of his abilities, and forced to wander his home with the knowledge of what his failed plan had brought. Clark tells Constantine that Darkseid is using three devices called The Planet Reapers to drain the Earth of its molten core, which will destabilize and destroy the planet if successful. Still feeling guilty over the death of Zatanna, Constantine agrees to join the two on their mission, with Etrigan tagging along as well.
Raven teleports the group to the League of Assassins outpost in Nanda Parbat, the act severely weakening her, due to her father Trigon's attempts to escape his magical prison after Raven captured him. The group is attacked by the Assasins, but their leader Damian Wayne calls them off. Once a member of the Teen Titans as Robin, Damian left following Darkseid's invasion to lead his late grandfather's organization. Save for Raven, all his teammates were killed or captured. Though he blames Clark for everything that happened, Damian agrees to join them on their quest to stop Darkseid. He also hopes that he'll be able to save his father, Batman, from Darkseid's control, or kill him if he is beyond saving.
The group teleports to Stryker's Island in Metropolis, where Clark's wife Lois Lane has recruited the Suicide Squad for their operation, including Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, King Shark, Bane, Black Manta, and Cheetah. Damian and Raven reconcile their feelings for one another, while the heroes prepare their final assault. As Batwing, Batwoman, Batgirl and Black Orchid fight the North Sea Reaper, Shazam, Steel, and Superboy against the China Reaper and Swamp-Thing battles the Congo Reaper, Clark and his team will infiltrate LexCorp Tower and use its teleporter to transport themselves to Apokolips, where they'll overload Apokolip's power generator and destroy Darkseid's planet, ending the New God’s empire once and for all. After fighting through many of LexCorp's soldier, the heroes make their way to the teleporter. They come face to face with Lex Luthor, who reveals that he's been their informant on the inside of Darkseid's organization. He arranges their transportation to Apokolips while he stays behind with Lois and the Suicide Squad. Batman, discovering Luthor's treachery, sends Paradooms to attack the Lexcorp building.
With Darkseid currently away conquering the Green Lantern home planet Oa, Clark, John, Robin, Raven, and Etrigan makes their way to the main fortress to end the New God's reign of terror. Before they can enter, the heroes are ambushed by the Furies. Etrigan dies, but Constantine manages to free Wonder Woman from her mind control; she stays behind to fend off the former heroes while the remaining four head inside. There, they discover that Flash is still alive, imprisoned to run on a treadmill that powers Apokolips. After Clark frees him, they find a dismantled Cyborg, who has been infused with the very technological network of Apokolips, making it impossible for him to be freed. Batman arrives with Darkseid. The two of them proceed to viciously attack the heroes, with Damian's attempts to free his father of the New God's control unsuccessful. Only when Batman has Damien on his knees and at the former’s mercy is when Batman snaps out of it. Seeing Damien’s helplessness reminds Batman of his own powerlessness when his parents were killed, joining the other heroes once more. Batman is able to wound Darkseid with Damien’s sword, and in retaliation, Darkseid used his Omega Beams on Batman, but Damien shields his father at the cost of his own life. As a last-ditch effort, Constantine frees Trigon from Raven's prison, offering himself as a host to fight Darkseid. Instead, the demon posses' Superman , which burns the liquid kryptonite from his body, they then proceed to kill Constantine by snapping his neck, before challenging The Lord of Apokolips. As Lois and her allies prepare to destroy the Lexcorp building back on Earth, which will destroy both the Paradooms and themselves, she sends a goodbye message to Superman on Apokolips. Under his own control, Batman manages to get a part of Clark’s mech suit that has acts as a communicator with the Earth Team, to a newly self aware Cyborg, who then projects this video around the chamber. Lois's death manages to free Superman of Trigon’s control; this last act of Lois helps Superman take back control of his body from Trigon, and the two separate. Darkseid traps Trigon’s essence in a orb made from his Omega Beams before engaging in another fight with Superman. Seemingly in the afterlife, Constantine is reunited with Zatanna, who reveals that she used her magic to make him flee from the fight and that he didn't abandon her. After professing their love for them, Zatanna and Raven revive John and Damian respectivly. Raven and Constantine then combine their magics to give Trigon his physical form, so he can once again challenge Darkseid, this time on his own, knowing he won’t leave the fight alive. Trigon thanks Raven for the chance to end Darkseid and himself on his own terms. Cyborg teleports all the heroes back to Earth while he sacrifices his own life to destroy Apokolips, obliterating the planet in a black hole.
At the ruins of Titans Tower, despite their victory, Batman reveals that the Reapers managed to drain 31% of the Earth's molten core, which will disrupt the planet's orbit and take one billion more lives before they can find a solution. Constantine informs the Flash that he needs to run back in time and create another Flashpoint, despite the speedster swearing to Iris that he'd never do it again. Though reluctant, Barry agrees that regardless of the results, while it won't be perfect, it would still be a better world than the present. Watching as their New 52 timeline gets reset, Damian and Raven share their only kiss as the heroes remain optimistic about their future as they disappear into the unknown.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Liam McIntrye as Captain Boomerang
Ray Chase as Etrigan
Sachie Alessio as Sandra Wu-San The Lady Shiva
Camilla Luddington as Zatanna
In addition, Hal Jordan/Green Lantern, Mera, Katar Hol/Hawkman, Dick Grayson/Nightwing, Koriand'r/ Starfire, Roy Harper/Speedy, Karen Beecher/Bumblebee, Garfield Logan/Beast Boy, Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle, Donna Troy/ Wonder Girl, Conner Kent/Superboy, Wallace West/Kid Flash, Black Orchid, Kate Kane/Batwoman, Luke Fox/Batwing, Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, John Henry Irons/Steel, Barbara Minerva/Cheetah, David Hyde/Black Manta, Bane, Kilowog, and Guy Gardner/Green Lantern all appear in a non-speaking capacity.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War has received mostly positive reviews, with critics praising the film's story, direction, and voice acting.
Development[edit | edit source]
- Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is a sequel to Justice League Dark. However on February 22nd 2020, it was revealed that Apokolips War is actually an indirect sequel to Justice League: War.
- In October 2019, the film was renamed to Justice League Dark: Apocalypse, however it was reverted back to Apokolips War in December 2019.
- Rumors say its a loose adaptation of Darkseid War.
- In December 2019, A new key-art cover was released for the film.
- CORRECTION - Leaked images have show the Teen Titans are going to be in the film as will the Justice League, this film will likely reprise most actors from previous films.
- A trailer for the film will release with Superman: Red Son bonus features, just like previous animation previews.
- This is set to be the biggest animation film in terms of how many characters and cast, as it was confirmed that the film includes the Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, and Justice League Dark .
- According to the sneak peek for the film, Apokolips War will serve as the finale of the DC Animated Movie Universe. This was later proven to be correct.
- In 2020, it was revealed during its sneak peek that mainstream director Sam Liu will not direct the film. Instead, duo directors Christina Sotta and Matt Peters will be directing the film. Mairghread Scott was revealed to write the film. This is Liu's first film to not direct in the DCAU, after 4 years.
- It was revealed also Frederik Wiedmann will not compose the score but Robert J. Kral will instead. However in the credits, Wiedmann was credited as composer.
- On March 2nd 2020, the first trailer was released for the film.
- Apokolips War is set to release in Spring 2020, so from April-June time.
- Apokolips War seems to have a time-skip in the film, as for this, some characters look older such as Raven, Damian Wayne and more.
- The film was released on May 5, 2020 (Digital download) and on May 19, 2020 (Blu-Ray).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The film's ending is similar to that of the Justice League: Unlimited episode "Hereafter," in which a Justice League member goes back in time to alter the timeline in which a super-villain wins and dooms Earth.
- Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is DC's equivalent of Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame.
- The visual way the film concludes also apparently draws inspiration from the Justice League: Rock of Ages storyline, in which a mortal Orion uses a Genesis Box to remake the future timeline without Darkseid in it.
- The way Darkseid successfully takes over Earth apparently draws inspiration from the Final Crisis storyline, whereas his fight with Trigon draws inspiration from Darkseid War.
- The film is reportedly the final film of the DCAMU, although it was later rebooted for a new franchise which begun with Superman: Man of Tomorrow.